This is my first bed size quilt. I made it for my son. When I went on the Minnesota Shop Hop in 2010, I also did a bus trip. By completing that section of the state, we received 1/2 yard cuts of black and white fabric. I used half of it to make this using Turning Twenty. My 11 yr old son loves purple, so that is what I used for the sashing and backing. The main thing that held me up from finishing it was the binding. I find I really dislike doing that! I sewed it on by machine, and it turned out pretty good. I am going to have to go back and hand stitch some areas though.
Anyone have advise on how to capture true colors? This looks washed out. Maybe when the sun is more overhead rather than in the west?
This picture shows the quilting I did. You can see it in white. My first quilt, and I wrestled it through my machine and used my walking foot. I had a couple of people laugh at me (kindly) for doing that. A nice friend with a longarm did some of the quilting so it would hold together and not have large spaces without quilting. All in all, I am satisfied with it, and my son love it.
So I can enter this in our show! Next up is my daughter's crazy quilt. I started to sew the blocks together Monday night, and found out I cut some of them 1/2 inch too small - so things didn't match very well. There was quite a bit of angst, tears, and I almost gave up. But after running to Target to get cat food (and NOT buying my favorite comfort ice cream - Coffee Haagen Daz), I had a plan. I will show it to you later this week when I am done with the top.
Tomorrow morning will be weigh in. It has been a very tough week, but I have persevered. I am looking forward to another week of eating in a way that is healthier. I have also been doing some walking, and I am stronger already.
Blessed Sewing,
Karen
Nicely done. Each piece is a learning tool that leads to greater success. I have been walking more too and yes, it does invigorate.
ReplyDeletewell done... on all fronts, I have my fingers crossed for the weigh-in, remember it is not a quick fix "WE" are there for the LONG term xx
ReplyDeleteYay!! The quilt is gorgeous. There's lots of posts around on taking pics, just do a search. I'm jealous about such a Blog Hop - I need to vacation somewhere with one. Great on the walking. I say the same thing every time I start "back up" with exercising. Why did I ever stop, I feel so much better. Sometimes I say it after the nap of course:)
ReplyDeleteLove the quilt! The pattern is very unique! Can't wait to see what your daughters one looks like =D
ReplyDeleteBeautiful quilt Karen! Purple is also one of my favourite colours. And congratulations on resisting the ice cream temptation! :-)
ReplyDeleteYou are very ambitious for machine quilting for being such a newbie - I think you did great!
ReplyDeleteJudy