Monday, March 5, 2012

Quilting Across Generations with Celine Perkins

On Saturday I went to the March 'meeting' for Minnesota Quilters.  It was at a Twin Cities high school about 40 minutes away (I live on the far northern edge of the St. Paul suburbs and the high school was on the southern edge), and they had a quilt show.  They also had a lecture and trunk show by Celine Perkins of Perkins Dry Goods.  I had never looked very closely at her patterns since she prefers Civil War type colors.  But after hearing her and seeing her amazing talent, I am going to take a closer look and see if I can imagine them in brighter colors.

Her lecture was new, and touched on old quilts and in some cases, her interpretation of the blocks.  These first 2 pictures are of old quilt tops that have essentially the same block - they are just oriented differently.  The second and fourth pictures are Celine's version of the blocks = one updated with sashing and done with quick rotary techniques.  I look forward to purchasing the pattern for the red and white one - I really liked it.



Next, Grandmother's Fan


Doesn't this old square look like the Swoon Block?  I am going to have to compare more closely.


I love yellow in quilts!


The final two quilts are Celine's design.  The first one has a pattern that is available now, and if I remember right, she hopes to have the second one in pattern form by Spring Market.   Do you see the secondary design in the first quilt?  Can you tell which part is the actual block?  Very clever.  Hint - it is not the pinwheel.


 All in all, I had a great experience at my first quilt lecture and trunk show.  I find I love old quilts, new quilts, most modern quilts, and many different colors.  It was great to see some close up.

I will post pictures from the actual quilt show another day.  I want to end with pictures of some giveaway wins that have arrived so I can publicly say thank you!

I won a $25.00 gift certificate to Fashionable Fabrics from Janet at The Empty Nest.  I am focusing on purchasing fabrics for Schnibbles and fabric to go with my precuts, so this is what I purchased:


Each Schnibbles takes 2 charm packs, and I bought 1 yard of the gray to go with a Daisy Cottage Rolie Polie I bought with my Fat Quarter Shop win a while ago.  :)  When I first started reading blogs last summer, I wasn't wild about gray even though I do like gray in general.  But it has grown on me.   

The other win I mentioned recently arrived today.  I looked at the challenge fabric for the quilt show again and read the instructions.  It mentions making something that represents what you love about spring.  Here is a picture of the challenge fabric with the cut outs!  My mind is rolling around ideas.  Aren't they prefect together????  I am picturing a lake, with flowers, birds, etc.  I do live in the Land of 10,000 Lakes!  Thank you again Ida.  Love the red dot and panel also.  When my son saw the panel, he said "nice quilt".!!




Blessed sewing,

Karen



4 comments:

  1. The reason you see the 'swoon' in the quilt shown - it is nothing more than the Carpenter's Block. Nothing new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lots of lovely quilts there Karen and well done on your win.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow those old quilts look really cool. It's always interestng to see how they made them back in the day. Great fabric choices. Can't wait to see what you make =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a great time. Those quilts are beautiful. And I can't wait to see those charm packs in a new Schnibbles! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Oh goody, I love comments and new friends!