Yesterday I went to 2 lectures. The first was by Debby Kravotil on shortcuts. It was very interesting and informative. It is so great to see all of the quilts. I wasn't able to get any pictures - I was too far from the stage.
Next I went to a lecture by Darlene Zimmerman. I think she might have shown almost 40 quilts. Some of them were blocks from vintage quilts that she had redone. I think you will be able to tell which was my favorite! Sorry the pictures are so blurry in some cases. I had to take them from a long distance with my little camera. Also, the colors are kind of washed out.
Vintage blocks - Darlene has a pattern for the way she turned them when she joined them.
This is an antique summer quilt. It was tied with string from packages or something.
This pattern is called Amalie's Cabin - in 2 colorways.
This is vintage.
I love this one. The blocks are so easy, and look at that border!
Another of Darlene's patterns.
Pretty combo of what is now commonly called Granny Squares and embroidery.
The combo of these blocks is very effective!
Last one - this is a combo of vintage blocks that Darlene removed from a quilt top with chains of Darlene's own fabric line to set off the Parasol Girls. Incredible!
I also did some volunteering in the "White Glove" function -
being available to show people the back of quilts if needed.
My trip back to the hotel was interesting. I went to some local shops to pick out FQ's for a Fat Quarter stroll. It was fun to see some local shops. There was a big storm brewing so it was VERY windy. They also had outdoor booths, music and food for Thursday on 2nd.
I was very tired after this day, so fell asleep easily and slept very well.
Today ended up being a very packed day. First I volunteered at the volunteer table, then helped with getting everyone checked in for the Annual Meeting of Minnesota Quilters. After the meeting I had 20 minutes to meet Judy from One Minnesota Quilter. We ate lunch, and talked and talked.
Next I went to my last lecture. The lecture was by Pat Speth - the Nickel Quilt lady.
All of her patterns use 5" squares. Hmmmm, I think I recently mentioned how much I love these charms. :) Here are a few of her quilts.
After the lecture, I went to the Small Quilt Auction to meet Kristen from Meadowbrook. It was great to meet her in person. I wandered while she finished her shift and ran into Judy again - Yeah! So we had a little more time to get to know each other, and discover our common interests and shared faith in Christ.
When Kristen was done with her volunteer time, we wandered around for the last hour everything was open. We did a lot of talking, compared notes on what style of quilting we like, and also talked about our faith a little bit.
Whew, great day, and my legs, knees and feet were not in major pain like they have been the past 2 days.
Tomorrow I will share about the banquet tonight and my last day of the show. My camera had 'died' early afternoon, so I am charging it up to take pictures of some quilts from the show!
Heads up - I will be having a giveaway on Monday sponsored by A Joyful Soul Fabrics! So please come back and take a look.
Blessed Sewing, Karen
Thank you for sharing your journey. I have a few of Pat Speth's books - fun quilts.
ReplyDeleteKaren, it looks like you are having a great time, and are using your time well, some classes, some just looking, and some lunches with new friends! Wish I was there with you!
ReplyDeleteKaren,
ReplyDeleteI am so glad I got to meet you, talk quilting and about our faith in Christ.
God bless you! :)
Judy
Wow what great looking quilts! Such a varied selection using all different stlyes! I love the Granny and embroidery mix =D
ReplyDeleteNo wonder you were so tired today!!! :) Great pictures and it was fun to meet Judy too! I can hardly wait to see what your next post is going to be about!
ReplyDeleteI would have loved to have seen Darlene Zimmerman! I wish we could have met, too. So glad we have met now!!
ReplyDelete