The 2012 Minnesota Quilter's Annual Show in Rochester, MN has already exceeded my expectations. I have said it before, but I feel very blessed the the opportunity to be here.
This post is picture heavy. Also, I will warn you (if you haven't already figured it out)
that little things make me happy so some of my pictures are of things that I found
interesting, but could seem simplistic to others.
I started my day by leaving at 6:15 a.m. I arrived in time for my class at 8:30. The class was "Sassy Mariner's Compass" and the teacher was Debby Kratovil. She had such great tips, teaching style, and I felt like I did fine even though it was an Intermediate paper piecing class. The only real issue I had is that both of the machines I brought didn't work very well. I hope that someday I will be able to buy a 'new' machine that works much better than my old ones.
I was able to get pictures of the blocks all the participants made (except one). It is just amazing how different they look because of the fabric choices. Of course we didn't finish, but these give you an idea of what the quilt will
The first one was made by the president of Minnesota Quilters. Great job Wynn!
I love these colors. It would match my dishes really well!
This one gives you an idea of what the completed quilt will look like.
Unfortunately, this is all I completed, and I will actually have to redo the 'donut' ring.
It turns out my 1/4" foot is more like a 5/16" foot, and I had rippling.
The fabric I am using is Veranda by Amanda Murphy. Love it!
Here is my pretty hotel room. Newly renovated Kahler Inn & Suites.
Yes, I know. It is 'just' a hotel room. But it is a treat for this single mom to get to be
away for 5 days and stay in the hotel 4 nights. :)
Look at the great surprise when I came in. It is great being the 2012 scholarship winner.
I went back to the convention center for "Meet the Teachers". One of the first quilter's I found online and admire greatly is Darlene Zimmerman "The Feedsack Lady", and I love her patterns and tools. Here we are! Horrible picture of me, but I left it in. She is such a sweet lady.
I went into the vendor/quilt show area for a little while, but my feet and legs were
really hurting, so I didn't stay long. I did purchase 1 FQ of Bella Butterfly fabric to go with the scraps of Backyard baby I got from Lisa - "In the Boondocks". It wouldn't surprise me if I go back for a couple more FQ's of these 2 great lines of fabric.
It was 5 blocks back to the hotel, and I found some great things along with the way. As you approach the Mayo Clinic, there is a courtyard area called Peace Plaza. I love this fountain, and I ate in a great Greek/American restaurant for my dinner.
There was also a great view of the Kahler Grand Hotel. When I was a kid, we came to Rochester a few times when the Vikings games were blacked out and stayed at the Kahler. Many fond memories. My parents and the other adults watched the Vikings play.
Meanwhile we kids pretended we were elevator operators, went up and down the stairways, and swam in the top floor pool with the glass dome over it.
Whew! Busy first day. Tiring but great. Thank you for sharing it with me.
Blessed Sewing,
Karen
All of the Compass blocks look great, looking forward to seeing what else you do at the show!
ReplyDeleteI hope you have a wonderful time! I am a little bit jealous! Keep posting pictures so we can see it all.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy the show and classes, sounds like fun. Beautiful quilt blocks.
ReplyDeleteOh it looks like you're having a marvelous time!! I'm so excited to be able to share it with you this way!!! :)
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful vacation. Your piecework is beautiful, and hey, don't knock those old machines. They are WAY better than the new ones! Maybe a couple of tuneups will make them work better.
ReplyDeleteThat all sounds like so much fun! It's so cool meeting fabric designers! Love the hotel pictures, it looks very grand indeed. =D
ReplyDeleteI am so happy you are having such a good time. The flowers are a nice touch and are lovely. Touch you you have meet Darlene Zimmerman. I am jealous but very excited for you. I hope you had just as exciting day today. I love the compass, oh shucks you have to remake the center after you remake it you can send me the one you think is messed up. It looks very detailed, love it. You have fun now and keep reporting all the good stuff.
ReplyDeletegreat pictures .. have a wonderful time and soak up the fun xx
ReplyDeleteWell,I say it is your blog,so you should post what is important/meaningful to you! Congrats on your win :) How exciting to be able to meet people who inspire/motivate you! All the compasses are very beautiful. Enjoy your evening ;)
ReplyDelete