Thursday, April 5, 2012

Quilt Show Challenge Quilt

I joined a local quilt guild in January.  They have a big show every 2 years.  It is 2 weeks from now - yikes.  My daughter's quilt is with the quilter and I hope to have it back soon to bind.  Son's quilt is done.  Both will be in the show.

That leaves quilt #3 - the challenge quilt.  In February one of the ladies said they had one more packet to make a challenge quilt.  Not really knowing what that meant, I took it.  Since I am home today with the boy because he is sick, I thought it was a good chance to try to put my vision into fabric.  The perimeter could be no more than 96 inches - so this is 18x30.  The fabric on the bottom and the leaves is the challenge fabric. 

The theme is 'My Favorite Things About Spring".  The fabric at the bottom represents a lake - I live in the Land of 10,000 Lakes after all.  And I love them.  Those green bits are supposed to be ferns - the fern pattern was in some FQ.   I think they look more like Pine Trees.  :)  The light blue background is the sky - and of course the birds and branch are part of spring also - the green appearing, the birds singing.




The butterfly is probably too much.  They aren't really around in the spring.  I will use that another time.  Here is my question - do the 'ferns' look silly?  Would it be better to have some flowers around the lake instead?  I know it is all out of proportion - that is deliberate due to the size limitation.  Also, would it be cheesy to have the sun in the corner?  I am going to fuse the pieces down when I am ready, and then do some decorative outlining and such like I have seen out there.

Any feedback and ideas are welcome.  I don't it to look like an amateur made it - even though I am one.



Thank you everyone! 

Blessed Sewing, Karen




4 comments:

  1. Yeah - agree, the butterfly is a bit much and takes away from the rest of the flow. Some swirly in the water and thread paint the ferns - very nice. We are our own worse critic - I think you have a lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. stop fussing and go with what your heart tells you is right...TRUST yourself, you CAN do this xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with Diane just go with your gut instint,good luck it looks lovely,well done.xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the birds!!! So adorable. And I agree with everyone else. Just go with your instincts :)

    ReplyDelete

Oh goody, I love comments and new friends!