Monday, September 17, 2012

A Caution for Selling on Etsy

I just learned a lesson a very hard way, and wanted to pass what I learned on to others.  

I just started selling fabric I have found on Etsy. 
I listed this adorable fabric for $4.00 a half yard and had 1.5 yards available. 
I found it in a thrift shop and probably doubled my price - so 50% profit.



Based on the buyers's name, I was able to find their eBay store.  I made the mistake of going there today to see what they listed my item for.  I had seen other vintage fabrics on their site that were listed for significant money ($30.00 - $50.00) , but imagine my shock when my 1.5 yards were listed for
$225.00.   
Now I don't know if she will really get that price, but I feel kind of sick to my stomach.  I know I am going to do my research next time if I find something like this!  This is business..buying and selling for profit.  I wanted to share my extreme case so other little shop owners can learn through my experience.
Definitely a case of Live and Learn!
Be back later today with my latest efforts with my Great Granny squares.

Meanwhile
Blessed Sewing
Karen

8 comments:

  1. Wow -- that's crazy awful. It's tough learning by doing, isn't it? Enjoy your stitching time today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think that is just robbery! An injustice to you and really - if someone pays that price for that material, thay need a good kick in the pants. Not that I am an expert, but do know vintage, and that is just sheer robbery - on both sides of the fence. Good for you in putting it out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen,

    This is one of those lessons you learn the hard way when it smacks you in the face!! Actually, there is nothing wrong going on here. You listed the fabric for a price that you thought was fair. Your mistake may have been in not doing more research, if in fact the fabric is worth a great deal more. The buyer (a stranger) bought it for the price you had it listed for. They have the right to list it for whatever they want - that doesn't mean it is worth their listing price. An item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

    You're dealing with strangers online and in the world of making money...what is the bottom line? Profit.

    Live and learn....

    Judy :)



    ReplyDelete
  4. Good grief, that is some mark-up, definitely a lesson learned! Will be interesting to see if they actually get the $225 too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh - I would be gutted if that happened to me - I hope this doesn't happen again xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that is a shocker! I hope they don't get the price they are asking for. It may be vintage, but surely not vintage enough to be listed for that price.
    Just remember to do a little research first after buying some vintage prices. Only hope that the person who buys it doesn't try to do what the other 'seller' is doing =D

    ReplyDelete

Oh goody, I love comments and new friends!