Thursday, July 12, 2012

South Beach Diet - Day 1

I DID IT!  I followed the heart healthy plan I have chosen for one whole day!  It looks silly in writing, but I truly have issues sticking with something for a day, let alone longer when it comes to eating healthier.

I have some strong motivations.  My son is a little overweight, and it affects his self-esteem.  The past few months I have really struggled with the effects of the 10 lbs I gained after my surgery last year.  Lots of foot, joint, and muscle pain.  I finally gave in and started on the cholesterol lowering drug Lipitor, and that just made things worse.  One of the rare side effects is muscle weakness - and I got it!  And then there is my newest incentive - my 14 year old daughter has high cholesterol!  It could be heredity, but it could also be the food I have allowed into the house, and all of the trips to fast food when I am in a rush.  

So here is what I made myself for supper last night.  My children are at their Dad's for 5 days, so it is a great time for me to do this so I will be over the 'crabbies' by the time they return.  ;)

This is from the South Beach Diet website.  Chicken and Chickpea Soup 


It has chipotle pepper, tomatoes, chicken that is highly seasoned, green peppers, blended garbanzo beans, etc.  It was actually fun to make and tasted very good.  Quite different, but we do like spicy in our house.  The leftovers will be my lunch today.

My sewing for the night was 6 churn dash blocks for the United Way quilt at work.  There is a group that makes a quilt each year, and then it is raffled off in early October.  Last year we raised $2,000 for the United Way!  I left this until the last minute, but I like how they turned out.  The 2 on the right are my favorites.  We meet today to lay the blocks out and decide if we want to add sashing.


To round out a very productive evening in many ways, I also watched the first DVD of a 'class' I want to use in this weight loss journey.  It is called "Made to Crave".  I am sure I will be saying more about it later.  There is a participant's guide/devotional and book to go along with the video lessons.  

Lesson/truth from last nights DVD:  We were all made to crave something.   In my case, I have craved food more than Jesus many, many times.   More to come for those that are interested.

I need to head off to work.

Blessed Sewing,
Karen

9 comments:

  1. Well done you, that soup looks lovely! If you can stick to it for a day you can stick with it for 2 days :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, just cutting fast foods will make a big difference. This time of the year also helps with the abundance of fresh fruits and vegies - make them your fillers and snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Hope day 2 goes just as well!!
    Great looking blocks =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen that soup does look very yummy and great churn blocks.xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That soup looks and sounds delicious! :-). And those blocks are great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is terrific news!!! I'm so excited for you! I love Made to Crave. I got it as an audio book a year (or two?) ago -- right after it first came out -- and have listened to it several times, as well as going through the daily devotional. Lysa really shares some terrific insight and wisdom. I'll be cheering you on!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen I was going to tell you to go to Denise's blog and then I saw her comment above. :) I know she's had great luck with South Beach. I'm doing Weight Watchers mainly because I've done it a lot of times (I keep falling off the wagon of correct eating) and am familiar with it. You can do this! There's plenty to eat so you won't feel deprived and you know your kids need for you to do it. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations for doing this for not only yourself but for your son and daughter. Way to go, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first few weeks are the hardest and then it become second nature to eat better. =) I no longer crave the things I used to as much. Food can very much be, an idol. It needs to be put in it's proper place...I have had it an an idol for many, many years. =(

    ReplyDelete

Oh goody, I love comments and new friends!