Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Fiddler by Beverly Lewis & Giveaway

A few months ago, I learned about an opportunity to review new books published by Bethany House Publishers.  I signed up to receive The Fiddler by Beverly Lewis.  Unfortunately, shipping was delayed and it arrived right in the midst of the busiest few weeks of the year for me, so my review was delayed.

Fiddler, The (Home to Hickory Hollow)
(Image from Amazon.com)

I was finally able to read devour this wonderful book a week ago.  Once I started reading, I couldn't stop.  I read it in 2 days.  I have been reading Beverly Lewis's books since she began writing them many years ago.  I have always been facinated with the Amish and Mennonite characters in her stories.  Part of me longs for a life where I could be more 'set apart' to live out my faith.

The Fiddler is one of Beverly Lewis's best books in my opinion.  The 2 main characters are both searching for what they should be doing in their lives.  Both have lived a life bound in by something, and are not happy deep inside.   Their lives intersect one stormy night, and Amelia spends some time in Hickory Hollow, PA with Michaels people.

For Amelia Devries it is the violin lessons she has been taking since she was a young child, and the fact that she has become a well known concert violinist.  Apart from that, she has also been secretly entering 'fiddling' contests.  Deep down, she longs for a normal life with a husband and children.  She wants to bring music to underpriveledged children.

Michael Hostetler was raised Amish, but has not been 'baptized' to become a full member of the Amish church even though he is 25.  He loves God, but wants higher education.  He is a gentle man but struggling under guilt for the disobedience of his neice as well as his own perceived disobedience.

Both of them end up in situations where they have to put aside their own desires to fulfill their father's desires for a time.  Michael's father is injured and needs his help on the farm.  Amelia's father has always expected her to become world renowned and wants her to take a last minute opportunity to perform in Europe.  He is seriously ill, and Amelia fulfill's his wish to please him.

This reminds me of the times when I have had to put aside my desires for the desires of my Father God.  And in the end, things work out so much better than they would have if I had pursued my desires immediately.  I won't go into details about the ending, but it involves misunderstandings, and the fulfillment of desires after obedience.  I would highly recommend this book.

Since I am trying to lighten my load of books and can check this out of the library in the future, I am going to give away my copy of The Fiddler.  It was provided to me by Bethany House Publishers, but the review is entirely my own.

If you would like to read this book also, please leave a comment about your favorite fiction author and what you like about their stories.  I will draw for a winner on Sunday July 8 at 5:00 pm CDST.

5 comments:

  1. I have read most of the Beverly Lewis books. I haven't read this one yet. I love all the amish books. I took my mother on a bus trip to the Amish county and we loved it. We are actually going on another bus trip back to where we were before this Sept. Can't wait. I would love for a chance to win this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favourite is Danielle Steele love the variety she has in her books,thankyou for hosting this lovely givaway,this book sounds so interesting.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big Beverly Lewis/Amish fiction fan, too! For the most part, I only read Christian fiction. When you said you were a reviewer, I googled that real quick and signed up too! I'm also a Jan Karon fan ... I adore the Mitford Series!! Such sweet, sweet stories! Hugs!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Lauraine Snelling's books! She writes historical Christian fiction. Perhaps I love them because I have a similar family history to her popular series, Red River of the North... yay for Scandinavians ;)
    I've always wanted to start reading Beverly Lewis books, but I just haven't gotten around to it. Thanks for the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have most of Beverly's books, and would love to add this one to my collection. She's a really good writer. Thanks for the chance!

    ReplyDelete

Oh goody, I love comments and new friends!