Is it really May 31? It seems like last week that I was rushing to finish the April Schnibbles, and here we are at the end of May. For my version of Doc, I used Circa 1934, and found a pretty cream print at Hancock Fabrics for the background. As usual, I have to change things up. I am not wild about square quilts, so I modified mine to be 2x4 squares rather than 3x3. Although I loved the border Carrie has on the pattern, I had some special Circa 1934 fabric I wanted to use. This fabric is by Cosmo Cricket and was originally a scrapbooking design, so one of the designs has different items that could be used as captions and borders.
(Click on the pictures to see a better version)
(Click on the pictures to see a better version)
Here is a close up of the top and bottom border.
Cute Typewriters!
Now I need to decide how to do the side borders. I have 3 options to choose from.
1. I can use the leftover half square triangle units like Carrie did in the Doc pattern. This example is by my friend Izzy at Dizzy Quilts (Hope it is OK I 'borrowed' your picture Izzy!
1. I can use the leftover half square triangle units like Carrie did in the Doc pattern. This example is by my friend Izzy at Dizzy Quilts (Hope it is OK I 'borrowed' your picture Izzy!
2. I could use a strip of the green fabric on the left in the picture below.
3. Or I could piece together some kind of design using the fabric on the right.
So, my faithful followers, I would covet your opinion. I am leaning towards one of these options, but would like to hear what you think! If you do leave a comment with your choice, I will enter you into a little giveaway of some of the left over (larger) scraps and charm squares. Giveaway will end Monday June 4 at 5:00p.m. CDT.
Don't forget to visit Sherri "A Quilting Life" and Sinta "Pink Pincushion" tomorrow to see the parades of all of the versions of Doc!
Blessed Sewing,
Karen
I love the Doc quilts I've been seeing! Yours is lovely. How does one become a part of the Schnibbles QAL? Or is that possible?
ReplyDeletei like your version of "Doc" and the vintage typewriters are awesome. I remember those manual typewriters from high school, guess I'm vintage also.
ReplyDeleteI like the idea of using the green fabric. :o)
ReplyDeleteI like the black and white little squares! Your piece is gorgeous!!! :)
ReplyDeleteI would choose the green fabric, to me it seems to reflect the patterns in the quilt body. Whatever you decide it will be lovely.
ReplyDeleteMy thoughts go toward the green although it is hard to tell when you don't see the quilt in person. You certainly don't want to lose those antique typewriters in the design.
ReplyDeleteThe quilt looks great so far I just got some of those reunion fabrics. I hope my Father will like them too..
ReplyDeleteI like the option 3. Fabrics on the right the best =D
This is so darn cute!!! See you in the parade/great choice of fabrics!!!
ReplyDeletejust go with your heart xx
ReplyDeleteLove the little typewriters! I think I favor the green, although any of your choices would be great. Doc is on my list, but then, so are a lot of other projects! Love the Schnibbles!
ReplyDeleteLove your version Karen! And I don't mind you borrowing the picture! :-). I think I would go with the green. By the way I just adore those little typewriters! How cute!
ReplyDeleteI don't think you want to distract from the design or the typwriters, and depending on how wide, the green might be to busy.
ReplyDeleteI would choose a more solid green or gold
Or the left over triangle -- which would be busy, but not bring any more fabric.
I like the long layout. and the typewriter fabric is adorable
I like the green but I think it might overwhelm those adorable typewriters.
ReplyDeleteI also like the checks down the side. Nice and orderly which seems to go with typewriting. I think the bigger green patterns would overwhelm the blocks. But I would use it on the back!
ReplyDeleteI vote for the checks too. I have just bought a FQ bundle of this line, so delighted to see what you have done with it. Looking forward to seeing the final quilt in all its glory.
ReplyDeleteLove your fabric choices and the elongated layout. I think I might use a tiny floating plain black border around everything, just to corral all the patterns and give somewhere for the eye to rest and then border it in that fabulous green print you chose and then bring back a plain black for a binding. I think it will be awesome! Thank you for taking time to comment on my entry as well. Much appreciated! Aren't these Schnibbles parades wonderful? p.s. Sure hope I am lucky enough to win some of your lovely scraps!
ReplyDeleteI like the strip of green idea myself. I think it would really pull the top together, but any of your ideas would be wonderful :-) It's a great quilt! I have a Layer Cake of this line and seeing your quilt makes me want to pull it out and use it!
ReplyDelete