Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Quilt Show, Anyone?

Raffle Quilt - Frosted Window Panes


Last fall, a Coworker told me about a large quilting organization here in Minnesota called Minnesota Quilters.  They have a large show every year in June - moving year to year to different cities.  She knew that I was a Newbie quilter, and  told me they have a scholarship each year that makes it possible for one beginning quilter to go to the show, take a class or 2, go to the banquet, and it covers the hotel room.  To apply, I had to submit photos of 2 quilt tops or quilts I had made.  You could not have started more than 4 quilts at the time of application.  I also had to submit an essay about what quilting means to me.2012 Show Banner
I am sure you guessed by now that I won the scholarship!  I will be going to Rochester, MN in June.  The class I signed up for is taught by Debby Kratovil , and it is on paper piecing.  It was so hard to decide on a class.  Darlene Zimmerman will be there, and her class is at the same time.  In the end, I went back to my essay and reread what I hoped to learn at the show.  And paper piecing was one of the items. 
The quilt I will be making is called Snow Crystals.  Isn't is lovely?  
I will be searching for some very special fabric for this.


The great thing about it is that I will be going to a lecture by Darlene - "From Ho Hum to Wow".  
Trunk show included!  

It is going to be hard to wait until June.  I am going to be there for opening night - Meet the Teachers, and  preview of the quilts and the vendors, 2 lectures on Thursday, Class and banquet on Friday, and another lecture on Saturday.  I hope some of my favorite 
designers/fabric companies/etc. will be there!

Have you been to a show like this?  
What was your favorite part?  Any advise?

Blessed Sewing,
Karen

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! How absolutely wonderful - and you will just love 'spiky deb' and her class. So jealous here - but know you are going to have a great time. I've only taken 'close to home' classes - no big shows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Karen!
    And great blog!

    Debra
    MQ Administrative Assistant

    My own blog:
    www.debrasvedberg.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Oh goody, I love comments and new friends!