Monday, January 23, 2012

Full House Schnibbles...Check

I sewed a lot (for me) over the weekend.  Lots of cutting, sewing, trimming and sewing. I made my first flying geese, that turned into
roofs for houses.  I made my first Schnibbles, Full House.  
It was so fun.  The fabric I used was Modern Workshop from a layer cake I bought last fall.  I didn't know what I was going to do with it.

Then I found out about Schnibbles.  When I started to look at the patterns, I found out you need 2 charm packs or 2 layer cakes for them.  What to do?

I ended up cutting that layer cake up into 2 charm 'sets', and left the other half uncut.  I gave one of the charm sets away for the SMS giveaway in December.  That was so fun!

When I was cutting the pieces for this Schnibbles, I left that 1/2 layer cake as is while I cut off the pieces I needed.  That made it possible for me to have a little bit larger piece left of each fabric for another project since I didn't need the entire 5".  
So, here is the quilt:


For the sky, I used one of the fabrics from my thrift store 
bonanza - it has little flowers and butterflies on it.  For the lighter colored sky fabric, I found a pretty print at S.R. Harris.  This is a warehouse style fabric store where everything is 1/2 retail.  
So I can find Riley Blake, Studio e, etc. for 4.50 - 5.00 a yard.

Believe it or not, the yellow border and sashing is a Modern Workshop print I found in my 'stash'.  I had bought some 1/2 yd cuts of some generic fabrics at Burgandy Buttons for a great price and that was one of them!  loved the process of making this quilt, and the chance to do my best at arranging all those colors in an eye catching and balanced way.  I like it better than I expected.  I was thinking this would be a good baby quilt - you could call it "Coming Home".  Now I just have to get over my fear of quilting!  Although we can put just our tops in the parade,  I really want to finish mine up each month so I don't end up with the dreaded UFO's I keep reading about.  :)

Question, have you sold baby quilts?  If so, what price would you put on one like this?  
Material cost is at least $20.00.  Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

Linking up to Manic Monday Linky Party at Sew.Happy.Geek.  You can find the link on my sidebar.

Happy Sewing, Karen

Sew Happy Geek

11 comments:

  1. I just stitched in the ditch at the foot of the houses and roof edge, cross hatched the squares, and used a loop across the sashing. Simple quilting to let the houses play. You have a lovely splash of colorful houses. Well done - and you shopped your stash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - those houses are simply stunning - I love them, and I bet a lot of work went into this wonderful quilt. Sorry, can't help about the pricing issue (None of my stuff has ever been anywhere good enough to sell - hee hee) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. your houses are so cute! i really like them. i am about to try flying geese and i just might put them on some houses now! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your houses are fabulous.I haven´t send any quilt,so I can´t help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I love this pattern and your use of colors

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just bought that pattern and can't wait to start on it. I think I'm going to use Ruby by Bonnie and Cammile. I am also from MN and maybe will see you in Rochester in June!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this Full House! I think it's my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love every single thing about your beautiful quilt ~ the fabric and colors are perfectly glorious! I'm impressed ~ and envious ~ that you made it with stash fabric and bargain finds. It's wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this is just so cute! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like that you used all the squares as spacer elements. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete

Oh goody, I love comments and new friends!