Saturday, December 3, 2011

Friday Quilter's Night Out

Last night was our monthly Quilter's Night Out offered through our local Community Ed.  Since I have little free time to sew, this monthly night out is when I get most of my quilting done.  We had our Christmas 'party' - we all brought a treat to share.  My SIL brought cookies my bro made with a recipe from our Mom.  It was great to have some as it has been a few years.

Before I show you what I worked on, I want to share the top to the first bed quilt I worked one (sorry for the poor color):

It is for my son, and uses some of the black and white fabric I received after the bus trip mentioned in the previous post.  I used a Turning Twenty Simply Sashed pattern.  The blocks are big, so it was a good beginners quilt.  I did some machine quilting, but couldn't handle all of it, so a friend is going to do some simple machine quilting for me on it.

Last night I worked on the quilt for my daughter.  My SIL found the perfect pattern in a quilting magazine.  My girl has colored circles randomly placed on her walls (we painted wallpaper and then cut it out).  She loves bright colors, so we had a lot of fun picking out fabric for a quilt that features circles.  Last night I appliqued many of them onto the squares.  These are a few of the small ones:


And here are a few of the large ones.  I hope to finish the applique stitching tonight so the girl and I can lay it out tomorrow and I can start sewing the blocks together.  More to come on this one....


I received a fun block from one of the other quilters last night also.  She was working on the blocks for our monthly exchange, and both my SIL and I fell in love with the few she was able to make like this.  So we begged to have one of them, and Sherri obliged.  I will have to make a special one for her in exchange.


All in all, it was a fun night, even though I had to run home for the cord to my sewing machine.  :)  Next time I will take some action shots if the ladies agree.

Before I go, I want to share a giveaway I came across.  It is for the newest book in my favorite series - Elm Creek Quilts.  Here is where you can find it:  http://luckypupquilter.blogspot.com/2011/11/wedding-quilt-giveaway.html

2 comments:

  1. Very pretty block you scored! Your quilt top turned out nice too :) And those circles are going to make a sweet quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Turning Twenty Simply Sashed quilt! I have seen a few of the Turning Twenty type quilts, but never this one. I have to buy the pattern now! Must make one for myself!

    ReplyDelete

Oh goody, I love comments and new friends!