Friday, December 30, 2011

Christmas Finishes

Christmas was wonderful.  My Dad decided almost at the last minute to come and visit the family in MN for Christmas.  This is a sacrifice for him since he lives in Florida now.  ;)  We stayed in a hotel Monday night - found a great burger place nearby, did some swimming, and then played a game we traditionally played at "the cabin".

As always, I had no idea what to get my Dad - someone who can get himself anything within reason.  I had planned to make him a Minnesota wall hanging next year - but then realized if I worked hard, I could finish up my Twister wall hanging and give it to him.


When I had the top done, I wasn't sure what to do with the edges.  I bought the fabric with Minnesota lake scenes with a wall hanging for Dad in mind.  So I added one of my favorite scenes to the top, used pine cones in the corners, and bound it with the birch tree fabric.




I picked him up from the airport Thursday night, and he stayed at my brothers house.  Dad and I did a little shopping Friday (I had the day off as a Holiday and my kids were in school!!!).  One stop was JoAnn's - I told him I needed to get something to finish a Christmas present.  He actually stayed in the car and read a book.  Here is the fabric I found for the back:







We have always had a bird feeder and a bird book handy to identify birds.  I did have a hard time deciding how to quilt this.  I ended up doing stitch in the ditch around the outside edge of all the pinwheels, and then just inside the edge of each gold pinwheel.  Easy enough with a small wall hanging.







I also finished the placemats for my Aunt and Uncle.  But I didn't have a chance to take a picture of them during the day to show the colors in natural light.  Another time.


Last but not least, I made this cell phone cozy for my daughter.  And it ended up being an iPod Touch holder instead since her Dad bought her one.  I used the last minute tutorial on Fairy Face Designs.  Sidebar - do you know of good protective gloves to wear when rotary cutting!?!  I had a little accident while concentrating on the very small pieces.  Boy did that fingertip hurt and bleed, but it ended up not being too bad.  :)
My girl loves Mini Coopers and London, so I was pretty happy to find this fabric.  



All in all, a pretty productive Christmas on the homemade front.  Not too bad for a new quilter!

I hope you have a very Wonderful New Year!

4 comments:

  1. your dad's quilt is lovely.well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you have a Blessed New Year in 2012,
    the quilt looks great for your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your finger is all better! Love the Twister you made for your dad.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Happy New Year to you as well! I'm truly inspired by your twisters -- it'll go on my list of quilts to make this year.

    ReplyDelete

Oh goody, I love comments and new friends!