Tuesday, December 11, 2012

I Gave a Quilt Away...Finally!

I have wanted to make and give away a quilt to someone who really needs it.
However, I have had to sew and quilt less than I used to because of my puffy, painful fingers.

Our company does the 'adopt a family' program each year.  My funds don't make it possible to purchase anything, but I found a wish for a 'colorful lap blanket' for a 57 yr old woman.  I used some pretty strips I won earlier this year and a pattern I saw on Sharon Vrooman's blog.  

I didn't have enough fabric to make the quilt as large as I wanted to.
I did add a border, but it still wasn't enough.  I also didn't have time to make a true quilt sandwich,
so I found a thin polar fleece blanket I had and used that as a combo backing, 'batting' and
ends to make the quilt larger.  A bit odd, but it worked.   I only have one picture that isn't the greatest.


The drive in to work last Tuesday after the snow storm was excruciatingly slow.  I had the camera in the car, so I started snapping pictures.  Normally when we have a large amount of snow that is all over the trees it melts off or blows off within a day.  This time the temp dropped after the storm, and there hasn't been any wind.  Here are a few of my shots:


The below was just lovely as I approached it.  By the time I could take the pic, another tree was behind it.  But you can see the general shape and the snow all over the branches.


Spruce trees all in a row!


Fencepost hats


The light pole was an interesting shape with the snow added.
It reminds me of the candle stick from Beauty and the Beast.



Are you ready for Christmas?





6 comments:

  1. lovely pictures xx I am always glad NOT to get snow xx we are sheltered by hills all round so fortunaly miss out! lol x Your quilt offering looks good to me ... if she wants to snuggle and be warm ,thats the one xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely quilt for one in need - a real snuggler! Love the snow photo's - but you can keep it - we are due snow this week and I hope it isn't too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the recipient of your quilt will be more than happy to have it. I love the pictures too... that is what it looks like over here normally, but so far, we've received very little snow. Keeping my fingers crossed for a reasonable amount of snow over the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure your quilt will be much loved, it sounds very snuggly! Perfect for the weather you are having.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt is made with a lot of love and care. Your recipient will be thrilled to have it. Let's not talk snow. :)

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. We finally received a little snow,hope we get more,as we need the moisture! Your snow pictures are so pretty,thanks for sharing them. The recipient of your quilt is sure to love it,I know I would. The fleece will make it nice and cozy to snuggle under :)

    Sorry to hear of your painful fingers,I am sure that this time of year with the cold weather does not help matters. Hope you are pain free soon :)

    ReplyDelete

Oh goody, I love comments and new friends!