Once a month our Community Ed has a Quilter's Night Out. It has been helpful to keep me on track as a newer quilter. At the one in early November, I tried to FMQ on my Son's quilt for the first time, but the thread kept breaking. I was using a machine a friend is letting me borrow since my Kenmore doesn't have a compatible darning foot available. So I gave up on that, and started to try to do some zigzag on my daughter's future quilt with my Kenmore. It didn't work! I had it serviced recently after not using it for year so I was really upset. For these and other reasons, I didn't accomplish anything that night. (I figured out the issue with the Kenmore later and it is fine).
The next day was our quarterly Quilter's Day In. We are able to leave everything at the High School where we meet overnight. I thought and thought about what I was going to do. The Singer has a great straight seam, so I decided it was time to try my 'Lil Twister. I started looking at my fabrics, and realized it would be nice to do the Quilt Minnesota fabrics since it was still fall. :) Much of the fabric in this wall hanging is from the Quilt Minnesota Shop Hop this year. At each shop, we received a 5" square. I combined the squares I received with some pretty gold fabric and used the small Twister tool.
Quilt Minnesota is an amazing Shop Hop. 80+ shops participating, bus tours, beautiful quilts made of the special fabric at each. The artist for our fabric this year was the great wildlife artist James Meger. Sadly, he passed away just a couple of weeks after the Hop. How wonderful that his art was displayed all over the state that same month.
Now I have to decide on the binding and whether or not I need a border. I kind of like it just how it is and may use the birch tree fabric for the border. Although normally it would be too late to hang a fall quilt, we are experiencing a wonderful fall here in Minnesota. It may be 50° on Thanksgiving!
Linking up to WIP Wednesday! This is only my fourth post, so I appreciate comments. Happy Thanksgiving!




Love your twister quilt. I like it just like it is too! My son lives in MN & I made him a lap quilt from 'Quilt MN' charm packs last year. Very cool they had special fabric for the event!
ReplyDeleteVery nice quilt. Just love the fabulous colours!
ReplyDeleteLove your Lil Twister quilt! The fall colors are beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI love your quilt the colours are just beautiful. Isn't it annoying when your sew machine don't do what you want.
ReplyDeletewhat a cool quilt!!
ReplyDeleteI would love a quilters night or day, or weekend....or month even lol
I don't want to call myself a beginner since I've been making quilts for a couple of years so I will all myself a basic quilter.
That's awesome! In upstate NY we have a quilt shop hop, but it is pretty small (and getting smaller every year). I would love to do such a big one! The quilt is beautiful!
ReplyDeletesuch pretty fall colors
ReplyDeleteLove the colours for the quilt.If
ReplyDeleteyou win my giveaway will send to the
states just may be late.I will prayer for you as you raise your children.
Love an Blessings always
My twister tools (both big and small) have become my favorite go to rulers. I just finished one small and one large this weekend and started a snowflake quilt with the big twister. I love the way it takes fabrics and makes them so interesting. Yours is beautiful and has given me a new idea for some fabrics to put together. Thank you for sharing it with us.
ReplyDeleteThat is so said to hear about the artist, but at least this can serve as a nice tribute. I love the colors, especially the way you placed the pops of rusty orange. Great job!
ReplyDeleteThanks for linking @ This Week