Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Look at me, I am blogging!

Hi, my name is Karen and I live in a suburb of St. Paul, MN with my 2 children. I have been lurking on quilting blogs since early summer of this year. I had major surgery and had time but no energy so I read quilting blogs.  My first quilting was done in about 1985. I was working for a local fabric store, and made this pillow for a display.

All of the stitching was done by hand. The book this came from called it shadow quilting. There is a shear fabric on top of the cut out shapes, and then you quilt it. You then get a shadowed effect. I remember I enjoyed it very much, and moved on to trying a sampler quilt. 30 years later, and I only have a few blocks done for that sampler. I will show them in my next post.

My desire to quilt 'someday' was always there, but single parenthood was my first priority. My children are now 11 and 13, so I have some breathing space for a hobby or something. So I chose quilting - my dear SIL started before me (both at the same fabric store in the 1980's and the quilting!). She is very prolific, and may join me on my blog.

I have had fun reading all of the blogs and joining many (too many?) as a follower - especially through the Wantobe Quilter campaign. I am amazed at how much quilting has changed in the past couple of decades.  Be back soon, and happy blogging!

2 comments:

  1. HI Karen! Congrats on starting your blog!! You will definitely enjoy blogging. :-) I did quite a bit of shadow quilting and also taught classes in it at Franks which then became Michaels out in Burnsville. I also taught it at Murphy's Landing to young kids as it's a great way for beginners to learn to hand-quilt. I have a pillow that is still a UFO. LOL! I should finish that project and I could do a blogpost on Shadow Quilting. Thanks for the reminder!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I am not sure if you will read this as it is your first posting, but I congratulate you on becoming a blogger. I have yet to do so. Also congrats on posting on the weightloss. I too am a christian and I know that God well help both of us in our struggle to lose those nasty pounds. I know that it is hard I have been struggling my entire life with it and I also know that God will help us get through it. Take are and know that I am praying for you. Elizabeth whistlebet57@yahoo.com. Feel free to e-mail me if you would like to.

    ReplyDelete

Oh goody, I love comments and new friends!