I have enjoyed being a part of the Bethany House Publishers book reviewer group. I do better with reading and reviewing fiction, but I was absolutely delighted earlier this year when we were offered our choice of 2 non-fiction book to review one month, and among those were the 2 books I had already planned to purchase.
First is: Pocket Your Dollars

Carrie has a website that helps us save money. I have been using Carrie's website to help me do a little bit of 'extreme couponing' and find other deals - including local ones. I knew from reading her site that she and her husband had removed their massive debt. So I was pretty excited that she was writing a book related to the subject of Finances. I was debt-free most of my life until about 6 years ago. I know first-hand how crushing it can feel - and mine is not as bad as some peoples!
The subtitle of the book is
5 Attitude Changes
that will help you pay down debt,
avoid financial stress, &
keep more of what you make
What I really appreciate about this book is that it isn't a debt reduction plan book.
Instead it is a book that identifies attitudes that many of us have that affect our ability to spend wisely and save. Carrie really caught my attention when she compared some of this to weight loss!
Even those of us who want to follow God's ways in our spending can be drawn into spending money to fit in.
Or spending money because it is easier to grab fast food than to stop and plan meals. One of the attitudes she lists is one that I know I use a lot = I deserve a treat. As a single mother who has to make all decisions and who feels like she has to sacrifice everything for her kids most of the time, I fall into this a lot. And I feel better for a short time, but then realize I not only wasted money, but usually my treats are food-related.
This is definitely a book I would recommend - even if you aren't in debt. There is a lot to think about, and Carrie has a quiz and discussion questions for each chapter.
And if you have a chance, I would also recommend www.pocketyourdollars.com - even if you aren't from Minnesota! Love this picture! Thanks, Carrie.

I will be back soon with my next book review!
Blessed Sewing,
Karen
What I really appreciate about this book is that it isn't a debt reduction plan book.
Instead it is a book that identifies attitudes that many of us have that affect our ability to spend wisely and save. Carrie really caught my attention when she compared some of this to weight loss!
Even those of us who want to follow God's ways in our spending can be drawn into spending money to fit in.
Or spending money because it is easier to grab fast food than to stop and plan meals. One of the attitudes she lists is one that I know I use a lot = I deserve a treat. As a single mother who has to make all decisions and who feels like she has to sacrifice everything for her kids most of the time, I fall into this a lot. And I feel better for a short time, but then realize I not only wasted money, but usually my treats are food-related.
This is definitely a book I would recommend - even if you aren't in debt. There is a lot to think about, and Carrie has a quiz and discussion questions for each chapter.
And if you have a chance, I would also recommend www.pocketyourdollars.com - even if you aren't from Minnesota! Love this picture! Thanks, Carrie.

I will be back soon with my next book review!
Blessed Sewing,
Karen
Just was out at Carrie's website figuring out my shopping list! I will have to look for her book. Thanks for the review.
ReplyDelete