I know many bloggers have expressed a lot of frustration with the USPS and the rising costs. I found an article today that explains some of why they are struggling and thought I would share in case you did not know that some of their issues are due to bad decisions and inaction by Congress. I don't think they are perfect, I know that the USPS has caused some of their own problems, and I know that the fix is not simple. However, I have friends who work there and have given many years to trying to do a great job.
(photo from ABC News online)
Please note especially the following:
"Though an independent agency, the service gets no tax dollars for its day-to-day operations
but is subject to congressional control."
"The agency's biggest problem — and the majority of the red ink in 2012 — was not due to reduced mail flow but rather to mounting mandatory costs for future retiree health benefits, which made up $11.1 billion of the losses. Without that and other related labor expenses, the mail agency sustained an operating loss of $2.4 billion, lower than the previous year."
"The health payments are
a requirement imposed by Congress in 2006 that the post office set aside $55 billion
in an account to cover future medical costs for retirees. The idea was to put $5.5 billion a year into the account for 10 years. That's $5.5 billion the post office doesn't have."
I have read elsewhere that there is no other agency that has been required to do this.
If you really feel strongly about all of this and you are the type to contact Congress with your concerns,
this is something that I believe warrants action by Congress. I myself have pulled back on doing giveaways due to the shippping cost, and have made mistakes in shipping on my Etsy shop that have resulted in a loss. Luckily my Etsy shop is a hobby!
Please, thoughtful or positive comments only.
If I receive any USPS bashing or really negative comments, I will turn off comments for this post.
Let's show our support for these very hard-working employees who have delivered our mail in every type of weather imaginable! If it weren't for them, I wouldn't get lovely cards and packages in the mail.
Thoughtfully, Karen
This makes me so sad. When my husband joined the Army my postman {Bob} told me about his time in the Army and would personally deliver my husband's letters from BCT & AIT to my door instead of leaving them in my mailbox. He was so sweet
ReplyDeleteSuch a shame that it comes to this Karen, we have a wonderful postman here and really appreciate him having seen the alternative when we lived in Latvia!
ReplyDeleteWhen companies struggle, it's rarely the fault of the hard-working folks at the bottom! Being Canadian, I don't know enough about the whole situation to make a judgement, all I know is that my online shopping will seriously diminish! :-(
ReplyDeleteOut here I would rarely get anything without my knowledgeable and helpful postman. I mail items worldwide and have only had one problem in 2 years and that was mail a package at Christmas to my daughter. I hope it doesn't get so high we cannot play our bloggy games I love them so much!
ReplyDelete