Friday, October 26, 2012

My Pretty Baby...by the Grace of God!

I haven't exactly been struggling with my Faith, but I have had some times where I 
expressed my frustration with the Psoriatic Arthritis and the Psoriasis.  
Thoughts like "God, do you really care about me?"  
"Why can't I have a break from health problems?"  

I wanted to have a period of time where I felt good after the surgery last year and the 
fatigue I have been feeling for a long time (most likely I have had the Psoriatic Arthritis for 
at least 2 years without knowing it).  I seemed to feel better for a couple of months around 
the 1 year anniversary of the surgery, but then went downhill again.  

I have been clinging to this verse:
 Romans 8:28
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, 
who have been called according to his purpose.

I have also been working hard at reducing our spending to help mitigate the financial 
impact of health issues and braces for my girl!  I have begun tithing again amid all of 
this to take God at His Word that He will take care of us when we give to Him.  
But I think deep down I wanted tangible proof of how He cares for me.

A week ago I was trolling Craigslist to see if I could find more vintage fabric for the shop.  
A posting for a garage sale last Saturday 1 mile from where I work popped up.  
When I took a look at the posting, I saw what appeared to be a Featherweight.
I didn't go to the Garage Sale, but contacted them about the sewing machines on Sunday night.

A Featherweight is on my dream list. I go to Quilter's Night Out, 
and have been taking my Kenmore that weighs at least a ton.  ;)  
But I knew that a Featherweight was out of the question due to the cost.  


Turns out, they didn't have the sale.  I tried connecting with them during the week to see if I could at least take a look at the Singer, hoping maybe it was old and needed repair and thus cheap.  I tired one last time as I was leaving work today, and they were home.  I stopped on my way home to take a look.  When I first laid eyes on this beauty, all I could think was how much I wished she could be mine.  Look at how perfect she is!

Pretty scrollwork.


Even the back is lovely


Look at the gold decorations - in perfect condition!


"Just In Case" I brought some cash with me.  The family knew her true value and named 
a typical price.  My heart sank because I knew there was no way I could spend that amount.  However, I was given the opportunity to make an offer.  I offered much less than she is worth 
(but much more than what I should have spent on something not 'needed'), 
and told them if she doesn't sell, I could leave my contact info.  
They thought about it and accepted my offer!  I told them how blessed I felt!  

So this lovely girl is mine.  My friend Deborah's blog is named for her 
Featherweight - Simply Miss Luella
For now I am calling mine Pretty Baby - until a better name comes to mind.
She isn't really a baby since she was born in 1938.  
BTW, the case is in pristine condition also as is the instruction book!

I knew before this happened that God cares for me.  But now I feel a glow of 
happiness and contentment that He even cares about little things like this.  
Pretty Baby is my early Christmas and Birthday present. 
I get enough cash from various family members to cover her cost.  
So when the time comes, that money will go into the regular budget.  

Have you had some tangible proof of God's care lately?  I would love to hear about it!





7 comments:

  1. glad you had a happy ending Karen and hope your health gets better,take care.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful find and glad you were able to negotiate a great price. :)

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!!! She is very lovely and I'm *very* happy for you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope that you feel better and so glad you were able to bring her home :) I have one too and often just looking at it makes me smile, I need to sew with it more often!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a true gift and blessing! I know you will have many happy days sewing with Pretty Baby! It was meant to be!!

    ReplyDelete

Oh goody, I love comments and new friends!